Azada (grub hoe)

• 33 Replies

mushroom

Azada (grub hoe)
« on: November 19, 2007, 20:01 »
I'm getting the large Azada (grub hoe) - just ordered it online from
http://www.get-digging.co.uk/

I'm looking foward to using it on the uncultivated part of my plot. has anyone here used one of these? Seems to have a good write-up.

WG.

Azada (grub hoe)
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 20:08 »
I got a 5lb heavy mattock this year and I really like it.  Narrower head than an azada but still very handy.  Reverse side has a blade at 90% which makes short work of tough roots.

mushroom

Azada (grub hoe)
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 20:12 »
how long is the handle?

I've a mattock as well, but I'm q tall, so it can get uncomfortable. Seems those things were made for 5 ft people rather than over 6 ft. This azazla thing has a 5 ft handle :)

WG.

Azada (grub hoe)
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 20:15 »
Full length (and very strong) as you would have on a pick.  Maybe 3ft long?

mushroom

Azada (grub hoe)
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 20:21 »
yep I reckon my mattock has a 3ft handle. I'd say the head was about 5 lbs maybe heavier. Makes short work of tufts and that kind of thing, I'll use it on the brambles when I've sorted out the above ground part of the plants. Thing is, it really needs to be raised above the head for that kind of work. Wonder if I can get a larger handle fitted...  :?:  :idea:

gobs

Azada (grub hoe)
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 20:39 »
Wherever Azada name comes from, I have one triangular one, given to me by my father -in-law, who called it a trench hoe.

I would have never managed that overgrown clay land I was initially given without it, a brilliant thing! If sharp and strong, good for a multitude of jobs, cuts like machettes, hoes like nothing, can uproot with it if you wish, one bang, one potato for planting, breaking up and loosening soil, shallow drills or deep drills for your convenience and cutting edges on the fast. 8)

Soooooooo much thanks for the site, cos I've been looking for a replacement for ages, as mine is old and broken a bit and could not find one. :roll:

One of the best investments you made I think.

5 feet handle is quite long, isn't it?
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

mushroom

Azada (grub hoe)
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 21:37 »
Quote from: "gobs"

Soooooooo much thanks for the site, cos I've been looking for a replacement for ages, as mine is old and broken a bit and could not find one. :roll:

One of the best investments you made I think.

5 feet handle is quite long, isn't it?

I think with a handle that long it will be less backbreaking. I've heard it said somewhere or read it that the reason this tool is rarer here is because the climate, and so the soil, is generally moist. They are very popular in drier countries like Spain and and on the African continent.

Now I'm looking for a path edger. I've already got one but I fear I may break it with enough force  :oops:

noshed

Azada (grub hoe)
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 21:46 »
I've got a medium one and it is great. You can plough up the first 9" or so of plot very quickly.
As an experiment I dug a couple of beds 'by the book' a few weeks ago - dug out a trench with a spade and shoveled the next row forwards etc and I'm not convinced it was any better than just swinging the mattock around and doing it in half the time.
I think if your soil is basically OK they are a boon - and great for clearing tough weeds and scraping paths etc. Soils with a pan might need a sharper implement and they do pointy ones as well.
They are quite dear though but I have seen versions cheaper in hardware shops so look around.
They are cheaper and cleaner and quieter than rotovators but obviously not as much fun to talk about.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Calou

• Experienced Member
Re: Azada (grub hoe)
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 22:52 »
Quote from: "mushroom"
I'm getting the large Azada (grub hoe) - just ordered it online from
http://www.get-digging.co.uk/

I'm looking foward to using it on the uncultivated part of my plot. has anyone here used one of these? Seems to have a good write-up.

I got one from the same company about 3 weeks ago, I have to say, I'm delighted with it! It's strong, well made and I don't know how I ever managed without it!  :D
Calou
Reasonably organic but totally realistic

Lynne

Azada (grub hoe)
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 15:30 »
I have one too, also from the same company. It's great and used correctly takes the backache out of jobs. We have a mattock too, but I find it too heavy so my husband uses it whilst I use the azada.
Lynne.

So much to do, but so little time.

mushroom

Azada (grub hoe)
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 15:39 »
I can't wait to get mine :D - I got the biggest one they had. if it works as well as they say, I'll be getting their long-handled shovel and spade.

brucesgirl

Azada (grub hoe)
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 15:49 »
Never heard of these - does it do away with digging? And do you use it by swinging it above your head like a pick-axe? How heavy is it?

mushroom

Azada (grub hoe)
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 16:27 »
Quote from: "brucesgirl"
Never heard of these - does it do away with digging?

sort of - I mean digging with a spade.

And do you use it by swinging it above your head like a pick-axe?

no, that's the point. You don't need to do that. have a look at http://www.get-digging.co.uk/using.htm

How heavy is it?

Blade Width 7.3".
Blade Weight 3.3lbs.
Handle 47"

gobs

Azada (grub hoe)
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 16:42 »
It a big strong sharp hoe, Bruce. But very good for other jobs as well. :)

mushroom

Azada (grub hoe)
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2007, 17:13 »
hopefully it'll arrive tomorrow  8)

xx
Just used my Azada

Started by SkipRat on Equipment Shed

21 Replies
Last post July 29, 2007, 11:03
by Lynne
xx
azada

Started by new_2_veg on Equipment Shed

15 Replies
Last post September 21, 2007, 16:39
by Lynne
xx
Azada

Started by Aunt Sally on Equipment Shed

13 Replies
Last post April 29, 2007, 12:05
by dawninspain
xx
Azada and mattocks

Started by loubylou29 on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post April 14, 2007, 18:42
by vron

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 39 queries.